Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Thursday, October 2, 2008

my brother is headed to Afghanistan


My youngest brother Jens is leaving for Afghanistan in a couple days. I am not sure how I feel - I know what he is doing is a good thing - I do support the war and the fight on terror - I guess I am just a little selfish and want him away from the action. Jens is in the Royal New Zealand Navy and has been to the gulf already - his ship patrolled the Persian Gulf and was responsible for boarding all ships coming and going for a while back a few years- but this is different. He volunteered to go, and he is not on a ship in the middle of the ocean :( We have been praying for his safety and know that the Lord will comfort him and his family while he is away. Jens is leaving 2 kids and his partner Rachael behind. It is also a little hard because Jens is not an active member of the church - I know that he probably will turn to our Heavenly Father for comfort - although he wouldn't admit it - so the knowledge we have and the knowledge he has leaves gaps. I guess it is just important for him to know that we love him and pray for him, and put his name on the prayer roll when we go to the Temple. We are proud of him and are excited to see him, Rachael and Simone in March when he gets back from Afghanistan.

4 comments:

The Greathouse Family said...

That's so scary.

Nettie said...

My nephew who is here in Queen Creek and in a neighboring stake just returned from Afghanistan, along with another nephew (they're the people who you see with me at the gym). I also have 4 other nephews who have either been in Iraq or Afghanistan. It is a frightening thing, for sure. I'll pray for him and for you. Everything will be ok. Maybe it WILL be just the ticket to turn him to the gospel.

PJ and Me said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know how you feel, my daughter used to be in the Air Forse and her husband still is and is deployed all the time.

Party of Five said...

We truly appreciate the service of men and women like Jens fighting for our freedom and safety.

We will definitely keep him in our thoughts and prayers. I agree with Nettie, it just might be the little nudge to get him back on course again. We all love him regardless!!!